VSV Keeps Moving

An updated VSV Situation Report is available at USDA APHIS VS page:

  • Since the start of the outbreak, two hundred seventy-nine (279) VSV-affected premises (New Jersey serotype) have been identified and quarantined in 7 states (Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, and Wyoming).
  • As of last week, there are 140 affected premises remaining under quarantine in 5 states (Colorado, New Mexico, South Dakota, Utah, and Wyoming).

Fortunately here in AZ we are still without VSV cases.

What I do hear about frequently in the these days from my equine practitioner colleagues is the never-ending colics and laminitis war stories. It’s a harsh environment out there this time of year. Please stay alert and attentive.

VSV Update 5-Aug-2015

Arizona currently has no VSV activity!

The last suspect case was confirmed NEGATIVE on July 27 and the Administrative Order imposing a quarantine on the livestock on the premises subsequently rescinded.

In the last few weeks we, with the help of several veterinary practitioners, have investigated several lesioned-animals. None have met definition for VSV-related quarantine.

I’m very happy to announce that currently we have nothing under VSV-quarantine and currently no cases under investigation!

Unfortunately other states do continue to deal with VSV. SD is the most recent to have confirmed its presence.

National VSV Data can be found on USDA APHIS’ website.

VSV Continues to Spread in the West

The State Veterinarian of WY announced last evening their first case of Vesicular Stomatitis Virus (VSV). The affected horse was at Cheyenne Frontier Days (CFD) for five days as a contract act horse before lesions were found.

This horse was not stalled with or near any contestant horses. The horse was quarantined and sent back to its Wyoming origin to be held in isolation away from all other livestock. No other symptomatic or clinical animals have been identified or reported.

This week’s National VSV Situation Report has details.

VSV – Almost Over in AZ?

I wish I could say we were done with VSV in AZ. But that’s not something I can say. This week we issued another Administrative Order quarantining another facility due to suspicious lesions. We are awaiting results from the lab. But as you probably are guessing, those results won’t be available until sometime next week.

Please continue to be vigilant. And patient.

It seems the current hot zone for VSV has moved into CO. Currently counties now with infected premises include: Delta, Larimer (new), Las Animas (new), Montezuma, and Montrose.

Maps and current national reports of the VSV situation

Equine Disease Communication Center

Folks, here’s a short blurb about a national equine notification system that is under construction. Some of it is currently active…

The Equine Disease Communication Center (EDCC) website (www.equinediseasecc.org)  is new and currently is not advertised to veterinarians or the horse owning public. This is changing as they finish the website and add alerts from state veterinary offices.

The call center to be located the United States Equestrian Federation (USEF) is not active, and currently calling the USEF will not provide any information or assistance.

Although the site is still under construction, many of the web pages the webpages have good information available about diseases, biosecurity and vaccinations.  Additionally please be advised they are seeking donations to make the EDCC fully functional. The information needed to make a tax deductible contribution is on the EDCC home page under “SUPPORT”.

VSV Dwindling

Our Vesicular Stomatitis Virus (VSV) outbreak continues to dwindle (hopefully away soon.)

At this time we have one quarantine in place in central Arizona in the vicinity of the Verde River. We also have one now near the Salt River in Mesa, not too very far from one of the earliest positives.

We have had much fewer reports over the last several weeks. But it seems we are not past this outbreak just yet. I’ll also add just a word of caution, the folks in TX and NM have also had a couple more cases show up in the last week.

VSV Slowing??? WNV Growing???

Vesicular Stomatitis Virus (VSV)

There were only a few more suspect VSV cases reported last week. All but one were in the same general vicinity as our earlier cases. The exception was a suspect much further up the Verde River. So in a real sense, not an exception after all.

Please continue to exercise good insect control and sanitation. There has been an apparent spread from an infected horse to another premises, and in this situation likely through a contaminated bit.

Let’s hope this outbreak is about to have run its course.

West Nile Virus (WNV)

There is an ad hoc public health group which holds a monthly conference call. Folks from various organizations discuss current developments so that all of us have a better situational awareness. Something I learned about an hour ago on this month’s call is that Maricopa County has already confirmed its first human case of arboviral infection. Also there have been over a dozen mosquito samples positive for WNV, basically occurring from one end of the county to the other.

I strongly urge you to have your horses vaccinated.

VSV Update – UT Chapter

The last VSV quarantine in Utah has been lifted. Animals which showed lesions were limited to the 5 equine that traveled together in the same trailer from Maricopa County.  There were an additional 9 horses that were exposed to the infected animals.

VS quarantine ended 5-15-2015–final

  • All 5 equine (1 mule, 4 horses) from Arizona developed lesions
  • 3 of 5 infected equine showed varying degrees of colic
  • None of the exposed horses developed symptoms, even though 4 horses remained within 25-50 yards during the entire quarantine period
  • Remaining 5 exposed horses were quarantined at a separate facility

I will specifically note that these left AZ without a current Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI). That carelessness likely (no I can’t say 100% that lesions would have been seen) resulted in a ton of horses and horse owners now having to jump through a lot of extra regulatory hoops. This is especially burdensome for folks who may have intended to travel from UT to Canada. For them the door will be closed for likely another month.

And in case the thought hadn’t crossed your mind, yes this is grounds for a suit for damages against the owner/s and transporter/s of those equine that illegally entered UT.